I believe I left off by sharing my ideas for my guest bedroom with you, and today I can show you photos of my finished-ish product.
(FYI- For some reasons my photos seem grainy and blurred and there are quite a few orbs floating around. I'm wondering if my camera is sick...)
Here is the view of the bed upon entering the room. I made the headboard myself by stapling batting and a khaki sailcloth fabric (that I salvaged from some old curtains) over a piece of MDF. I planned on adding some nailhead trim to add some interest, but I'm saving it for later. I got the anchor wall hanging from Hobby Lobby (50% off!). It still looks to me like it could use a frame around it, but we'll see.
One of my favorite purchases were these two white pillows (clearance at Marshall's!) to add to the oblong pillow I already had (a Pier 1 thrift store find). I love that the khaki dots mimic sand while the ruffle pillow looks like rolls of waves. Coastal without being too literal.
Here is the gallery wall off to one side of the room. I printed a bunch of my photography (amateur, but I love it nonetheless) to frame and arrange. I put our engagement photo in the center and then focused on arranging the frames by size because my idea was at first to paint ALL the frames white. I thought that would make it harmonious and would lend the coastal feel I wanted.
I asked the hubby for his thoughts on the arrangement and he, in his decorating wisdom, pointed out how much he liked the eclectic colors. After waiting a day to let it grow on me, I'm glad I didn't paint them! All frames are from the Dollar Tree except the orange center one and blue one (75% off at Target), one found in the garage, and the large beautiful white one I painted that cost a quarter at a yard sale. The prints cost more than the frames!
For the other blank wall, I really wanted some shelving as we are lacking that in our home. I got these three book cases and Walmart for I think $20 each. They fit the wall perfectly, and for being so inexpensive, I think they look pretty nice. One day I would like to add some beadboard and trim to make it look more like a custom unit, but for now this is good.
I used some glass insulators I got dirt cheap at a thrift store, and all other things I didn't already own were purchased from Ross or Marshall's. There is still plenty of space for photos and decor available.
Linked up to Tatertots and Jello's Weekend Wrap Up Party
I love your blog! That's why I wanted to present you an award. Come grab it off of my blog! Thanks for the great, not to mention thrifty, ideas.
ReplyDeletehttp://runningwithoutbeingchased.blogspot.com/
-Melanie
Great job! I LOVE those pillows!
ReplyDeleteI love this room! I really like the bedding, the gallery wall, the shelves, everything!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful! I haven't seen it since you added the pictures.
ReplyDeleteOooh... love all the dark dramatic colors! :)
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you got all of that shelving for $60! That's awesome! Good job on the room makeover. I really like the glass insulators too - great color.
ReplyDelete