Sunday, March 27, 2011

We Need To Have A Talk: Anthropology of an American Girl

 
Dear Anthropology of an American Girl,


After reaching page 372 out of your nearly 600 page length, I think we need to have a talk.

I've struggled with putting you down and not picking you back up for quite some time now. The combination of my hope that some change as far as content goes will occur and my feelings of failure for not completing you have kept me going this long. But I'm sorry to inform you that the struggle is not worth it. There are rows of books waiting to be discovered by me so I must move on.

While your words are poetic and gracefully written, they do not mask that your plot is dull and your narrator and main character of Eveline is thoroughly unlikeable. This is what an American girl is to you? A girl who detests her family, whose talents and potential are overshadowed by her addiction to dysfunctional relationships? A girl who falls so "in love" with a man she says little to nothing to, who is likely a criminal, who is jealous and possessive? A girl who then uses that twisted relationship as a measuring stick for all future romantic entanglements? I'm kind of offended. I know, I know. I'm a woman who does not believe in love at first sight, who uses logic as my primary guide, and who does not believe that romantic love defines one's life. Call me crazy.

After reading this article about quitting books and a few reviews about you (in particular this one) I can safely say we are done. At least for now.

1 comment:

  1. One Christmas gift that was not a hit, I see!

    ReplyDelete