What don't I like? LET'S MAKE A LIST! (Don't worry, I'm limiting the list to home decor-related dislikes.)
1. Black. Nothing in this house is black. I don't usually go for pink, orange, peach, or yellow either. I definitely gravitate toward blue and green. Like seaglass. Or peacock feathers...
2. Delicate, dainty things. In most cases, I'm not into lace and ruffles or delicate glass vases. I enjoy feeling like I'm home, not in a museum, or worse, a Martha Stewart-esque home. You know, those houses that say, "You wrinkle my bedspread, you DIE!" or "Don't DARE bring your coffee cup near my white pillows, white carpets, white furniture, white curtains, and various other white textiles." (Oh yeah, did I mention that sometimes I have issues with white? Evidently I should have been a mermaid since blue and green are it for me. More to come on my issue with white later. Bet you just can't wait.)
3. Sloppiness and disorganization. I hate sloppiness, but I do know I contribute a fair amount to the mess around the house. I tend to throw laundry, shoes, and jewelry anywhere and everywhere, and I dread doing dishes so there is almost always something in the sink, just waiting for me. Oh, and don't EVEN watch me cook. You will cry. But I would like to have a place for everything. If things are messy, I don't really feel at peace.
So that doesn't say much about style. What DO I like, you ask? I don't know that I can list it all out. Some things "click" and other things don't. I do love vintage things that find a new purpose. Here are some examples.
Old flatware and serveware that now serve as hooks, storage, and memo holders:
Vintage screen doors, iron scroll gates, and coat racks that are now pot racks:


A vintage blue enamel kettle that is now a vase:

The end of an old rake that now holds jewelry:
Urns that have now become towel or magazine holders:
A dollhouse that is now laundry room storage: (I don't think I could handle this in my house now though. Thanks, Betty Ren Wright.)

Urns that have now become towel or magazine holders:
A dollhouse that is now laundry room storage: (I don't think I could handle this in my house now though. Thanks, Betty Ren Wright.)

Like the nerd that I am, I looked up "eclectic" in some online dictionaries. My favorite definition explained "eclectic in this way:
"Not following any one system... but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems."I think that pretty well sums me up. I suppose I'll just continue like this, grabbing ideas from all sources, no matter how different (from Pier 1 to Pottery Barn to thrift stores and yard sales) and just hope it all goes together!






Ugh. I can't pick my own style either. I think I like something, then 10 minutes later I decide I'm wrong..boo.
ReplyDeleteBut I LOVE the pictures you posted. I really hope I can see a finished project soon!
1. I love that you make lists.
ReplyDelete2. How cute are those cutlery hooks?
3. You don't live in a museum, an article in Martha Stewart Living, or a period drama. Your home reflects YOU. THAT'S your style!
4. I LOVE black. Boo.
I like black in other houses. Your red and black is cute. I just don't gravitate towards black. :o/
ReplyDeleteI like this list EXCEPT... I love white!! I guess that is where we differ!!
ReplyDeleteLove the photos! Now I'm going to be looking for an old rake to make a jewelry holder!
ReplyDeleteI love love love your photos. But I'm with Sally...I like black. Black and tan sums up my living room. As for white...can't keep it clean no matter how hard I try. I do love your style and the blues and greens! Best of luck on decorating your house! :)
ReplyDeleteI love these!! I was wondering though...how did hang the necklace rack?
ReplyDeleteThese are so creative! Wish I could think of things like this!!! :)
Margaret- Sorry, these photos are not of my house! I wish! I'm not sure how the rake was hung up. I think if you click on the picture, it will take you to Country Living's website, where the picture is from. Maybe its says there?
ReplyDelete