Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Bathing Beauty Bathroom?

Okay, I've never been a huge fan of beach-themed bathrooms. When I think of beach-themed rooms, I think of pastel peach and blue, seashell wallpaper and cheapy seashell graphics in frames, embroidered on towels, etc.



Yikes. But I saw the below picture on Pottery Barn's website and now I'm thinking that maybe beach-themes don't have to be this way. I love that old glass buoy and the pieces of driftwood below the sink!




We got most of the basics of our guest bathroom when we registered for gifts, but there still isn't much as far as decorations and personality goes. So here is what I'm thinking...

Bouys



I love the colored glass and the old frayed rope. They could hang from towel hooks, sit in bowls like orbs, or hang from the ceiling. I saw a TON at an antique mall once and I am kicking myself for not grabbing a few!

Bathing Beauties

Between eBay and Etsy, there are a ton of precious 1920/30s bathing beauty postcards. I picture a few hung in some weathered frames. How beautiful are they?!




Ah, back when beauty was pure and natural. What happened?

Other Randomness

Sprinklings of seashells and sand, seaglass, corals, seasponge...




I have hope that beachy decor can be pulled off without the room just screaming "Put on your wetsuit and explore the faux coral reef!!!" upon someone entering it. But I do wonder, can you pull off beachy elements in one room while having a house that is not beachy anywhere else? Can you have seashells in one room, peacock curtains in another and these awesome froggy drawer pulls in another? (I don't actually own them yet but I think they would be sweet as my kitchen cabinet knobs! Totally off topic, but I wanted to share them.) Is that what the art of eclectic style is? What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. The bathing beauties are freaking adorable!

    I think if you want a beachy bath; go for it! It doesn't have to be the theme of the whole house. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice pictures. I love the glass jars with things inside. I think if you dont over do it which I am sure you wont it wont scream seaside condo in Florida. haha. I have seen lots of people do beachy bathrooms the classy way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man. I love the 'bathing beauties'... when you're done decorating, you need to have an open house so i can see it all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the trick to theming is using real elements, not pretend doodads, like those soap dishes etc you posted. :) All those classy pics you showed seem to ring true to that theory.

    I do think you can swap your themes around, as long as it's not done in an overboard fashion. Keeping things pretty clean and straightforward with small natural dashes in each room wouldn't scream BEACH! FARM! FROG POND! what have you.

    Let us know when you're bathroom is done and we'll give you another opionion... HINT. ;)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete